Wednesday, April 17, 2013

i'm joining the club.

for YEARS (and by years, i mean my ENTIRE life), i have had extremely fine hair. as in, when i was little, my mom tried to perm my hair... and it didn't work. we left the solution on my hair for like double the suggested amount of time. she rinsed it out and... nothing! stick straight, silky, smooth hair. no curls, no perm, no change whatsoever. i'm sure you can imagine how broken my little 7 year old heart was!!!

i have forever been jealous of the girls that have ridiculously thick hair. or really, any girl with textured hair. my hair is naturally limp and thin and not the type of hair anyone dreams of. anyways, one of my dear friends in florida seriously only washes her hair once a week... maybe twice a week, if she's gettin crazy. i used to think that was INSANE. well, i still kind of think that's insane, but I'm comin around. she might be on to something...

at my recent hair appt, i was telling my fab stylist how i wish my hair wasn't so oily so that i could only wash my hair every other day. when i said that, she gave me the most baffled look and said 'why can't you? you could TOTALLY skip a day. you just need the right products & knowledge, girl'. and just like that... i have officially joined the every other day hair washing club!!!!

my stylist suggested that i only shampoo my roots and only condition my ends. seems like i should know that by now, but i had never heard that! even by doing this one simple tip, i have waaaaay better texture in my hair and it's less oily. she then hooked me up with the BEST of the best dry shampoo aerosol.



here's how my new routine works: on my non-wash day, i take a 2 min shower (& skip washing my hair, obviously) and then spray the dry shampoo in my roots. i focus mainly on the top of my head, my bangs, my crown & around my ears. i don't really spray any on the lower half of my hair unless i am wearing it all up. the bottle says to spray the shampoo and then let it set for 2 min. who knows if this really makes a difference... but i do it! once the shampoo is set, i comb through and start to style. there hasn't been a no-wash morning that i haven't had to straighten or curl my hair due to some always ridic bedhead. i typically will straighten my hair (especially the roots) before curling to get rid of the nasty links. to straighten, i split my hair in two halves (top & bottom) to get the best results.

i was literally blown away at how well my hair styled for a no-wash day! you could have called me a skeptic cause i didn't think there was any way i could skip a day without my hair annoying me all day, but i assure you that the right product makes all the difference! i know some people use a dry shampoo even on days they wash the hair just because it provides AMAZING texture. i haven't done that, but that's probably cause the product costs around $30 and i'm not sure how quickly i'll go through it!

if you haven't ever tried a good dry shampoo and skipping a day here and there, i urge you to give it a try! i was horribly nervous that i had wasted $30, but knowing what i know now... i would pay $30 any day!!!!

oh, and if you're local and want my stylist's info, let me know! she's so great!!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh girl, welcome to the club! I don't have a problem with thin hair, the absolute opposite! I couldn't make it without dry shampoo! However I am a cheapo and go for drug store brand!Enjoy your new found skip-a-day hair glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jos, I foresee playing around with different brands of dry shampoo in the future. I splurged from the start though cause I wanted to see if it made a difference. since it obviously does, I will try
    others & see if I can find a cheaper alternative! what kind do you use?? ps- there's no shame in the fact that you give me major hair envy... it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was my hair every other day but I haven't tried the dry shampoo.. I didn't really know what it was for. Maybe I will give it a try. Then again I don't ever do much with my hair anyway. I love your hair I always think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...