Tuesday, January 28, 2014

my sweet, funny, sometimes rotten little boy!

having a two year old is, in my opinion, one of the best things ever! he is 100% turning into a little man which kind of breaks this mama's heart, but it's so fun to see him learn & grow, that i don't stay too depressed for long! lately, holden has been doing some seriously hilarious things and i just so badly want to put these months and years in a box that i can pull out and relive any time i want! yes, i'm aware that sounds really odd... but they really do "grow up so fast".

my sweet boy is still a cuddler like no other. every morning, i get him up (he's still in a crib & will stay in a crib until when the baby comes, as far as i can tell), change his dipe and we have almost the same conversation every. single. day. while i'm changing him.

"mama sit."
"oh, you wanna sit with mama?"
"yeah. on da couch."
"ok, you can sit with mama on the couch."
"i watch show. i wanna watch do-wa (dora)."
"ok, we can watch some dora."
"and we cuddle."
"yes, baby, we will cuddle."

it's heart-melting and tender in every possible way! he's also become slightly bossy these days telling me where to sit, what to eat, what to play with (if we are playing together), etc. it must be a pretty common toddler-ism because my niece did the same thing a year ago. it's pretty funny!


one thing that is blowing my mind lately is how much stinkin stuff this kid remembers! he wakes up from his nap talking about something we saw 3 days ago or will tell me who and what he played with at church, whether or not they went to the play place and one time he told me he cried during class at church (which never happens and then the teacher confirmed that it happened that day). he has also been telling me how to get places while we're driving. if i tell him we are going to grandma's house, he tells me where to turn & such. and he constantly points out places we go regularly (grandpa's car lot, target, chick fil a, etc).


"yesh" is holden's fav response to things these days. "do you want a snack?" "yesh". grant & i are getting a big kick out of that!

at this point, i doubt that holden has any clue what the baby in mama's belly is going to mean for him or what i am even talking about when i say that. i will ask him where the baby is and he will lift up my shirt and find my belly and has even kissed my belly (with prompting), but his world is gonna be flipped upside down and he has no idea! we are on the hunt for names for baby 2.0 and the other day, i asked holden to say one of the names and my heart melted into a puddle when he said it. it was seriously the cutest thing ever!


the other night, while driving, grant asked holden "are you a baby?" and holden sharply responded with "no, i'm a boy!"! what? how does he even know that??? and why would he break my heart like that?

another thing that h says regularly is 'hey!' with major umph. as in, every time he says it, I can't help but start singing 'I don't think you're right for him... hey... look at what might have been' (the lumineers song)! i totally crack myself up. whatever! but recently, holden will say 'hey' if we're tickling him, if he's pouting and we look at him, pretty much anytime it'd be funny to say it, he says it. and it's always in the right context! something that he's been saying that isn't quite right is when he says 'because' or 'because why?'. "holden, why aren't you going night night?" "because why?"... it's amusing, to say the least!


it's possible that my urge to jot these things down is stemmed from the reality that my baby isn't going to be the only baby in a few short months. we are beyond overjoyed to be adding to our family, but part of me feels like i will never have enough one on one time with my sweet holden crew! mamas of two, three, four... please tell me this is normal!

1 comment:

  1. If you don't already have one, get a journal just for Holden and write everything down! I have one for each kid :)
    And yes as you have more kids the less time/attention Holden will get. Plus now he will become the "older brother" and you will come to expect more from him, eventually he won't be the baby anymore and that can be hard to grasp :( even now that Gabe is 5 I have a really hard time knowing he isn't a baby anymore. You will always have that special bond with him though and a closeness that you won't have with the others to come.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...